While this blog is typically about through-channel demand generation, sales enablement, and occasionally entrepreneurship… this one’s a little different. With a long weekend ahead, I think we’re all looking forward to some much needed downtime. Granted we don’t have big plans or BBQs set up, but since I’ve yet to talk to anyone who isn’t under some level of stress right now, having an extra day to chill out (even if it’s still just around the house) is a welcomed break! Whether you’re homeschooling your kids, you live alone and are…well, lonely…or your business is – suffering and you’re trying to do more with less, or it’s thriving and you’re trying to figure out how to hire more people without ever meeting them face to face – bottom line, shit’s getting real and we all need a minute!
Add to this, with social distancing many of us have thrown all semblance of self-care out the window. That’s not to say our pre-pandemic work/life balance afforded much time for self-care anyway, but stress plus no wellness practices, equals challenges down the road. But what can we do – most of us are still in quarantine!? Well, here are some of my favorite go-to’s… while they may not work for everyone, I hope to “Spark” (pun intended) some ideas to help you relax and recharge!
- Get Organized: Panda Planner is a notebook that forces me to take time every single day to write down what I’m grateful for, which projects I’m focused on at a high level, and what ‘more tactical’ items I need to accomplish that day. I’m telling you it’s changed my life and I highly recommend you give this, or something similar, a try.
- Meditate: Headspace, Calm, or any meditation app is a great way to just breathe for 10, 20, or however many minutes you can spare. Note to self: I actually need to do this more. I didn’t renew my annual subscription back in January but the more I write this, the more I realize how much I need it. Meditation reduces stress, calms anxiety, and promotes emotional health and self-awareness… which all of us could probably use right now.
- Exercise: This is for sure my happy place. Although, I’m not one of those people who gets super sweaty and pushes myself until I’m about to puke, I realized I’m not as happy or energized on days I don’t work out! In quarantine it’s been tough, as I’m definitely a ‘workout in a gym’ or ‘Pilates with friends’ kind of girl. With the social aspect missing at home, FaceTiming with my trainer has actually been a great work-around and “Zooming” through Pilates is a lot of fun! I’m also still working out on my Peloton but now with friends at the same time, using the video share functionality so we can see and talk to each other! Bottom line, just get up, get moving, and do what you can. Trust me, it will surely help.
- Pamper Yourself (Yourself): If you’re like me, you love pampering yourself. Or more aptly, paying other people to do it. Haircuts, facials, mani/pedis and don’t get me started on massages, acupuncture and a plethora of other treatments that I love to spoil myself with to maintain my workouts without pain. This has certainly been tougher to mimic at home but get ready, because I have some tried and true suggestions:
- Have you tried cutting your own hair? Not for the faint of heart, I know, I know, crazy! But with a real pair of haircutting scissors and some YouTube DIY videos, all things, including haircutting are possible! See…
- I also did a facial myself on Mother’s Day. Granted I may have gone a little overboard (which resulted in a rash on my face… for a week), but hey live and learn! Tip: You can also get simple face masks online. Pair it with a glass of wine and a relaxing bath, and you’ll be on your way to a great night
- Do you have a foam roller yet? How about a lacrosse ball or some of these? All are super helpful for massages- but you have to be religious about it. Definitely worth a shot to ease tension and muscle aches.
- Solitude: It’s literally never been harder for most of us to find time for yourself!
And yet it’s never been more important. I like to get up super early and go for a hike or lock myself outside on my office balcony for at least 30 minutes. Yes, this means going to bed a little earlier, but taking the time to do this clears my head for the day. This is something I’ve committed to doing during this quarantine and it has really paid off. I encourage you to do the same. Get to know yourself again. It’s worth it!
Last but not least, go easy on yourself. These are unprecedented times (how often have you heard that lately?) so there’s no plan to follow. If you’re not into dressing up or working out, or your kids are indulging in excess screen time, it’s fine. Life as we once knew it is very blurry right now, but with a little self-care and some good ol’ fashioned down time (did somebody say binge watching Netflix?), I believe we will be OK.
I’m here if you need to talk and would also love to hear any other tips and tricks!